Friday, July 17, 2009


And that's the way it is . . . Walter Cronkite, CBS News, goodnight. The legendary news anchor died today at age 92.

This photograph was taken following a fund-raising event in New York City on May 15, 2006. As Mr. Cronkite was leaving the event, I asked him to pose for a photograph. I don't think he heard me, so as I continued to walk with him, I asked again. He heard me this time and stopped for just a second so I could snap this shot. This was my second time to meet Mr. Cronkite. I first met him following a St. Louis Speaker Series appearance in 2001. There, he signed a copy of his book, A Reporter's Life, for me. I asked for a photo then, but he politely declined as he was in a hurry to get back to his hotel to catch the end of a Yankees World Series game.

No comments: