Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin . . . a comedy legend . . . left us yesterday. And . . . he loved to meet others.

Talking about signing autographs, he said, “I always do it. No matter what. Look, it’s 30 seconds out of my life. And now those people had a good experience. And the next time my name comes up, for the rest of their lives, they’ll say ‘Yeah, I met Carlin once. He was nice.’ I’d much rather that than a lifetime of ‘Yeah, I bought all that guy’s albums and then he wouldn’t even sign my hat. That guy was a jerk.’ Thirty seconds for a lifetime? I’ll do that every time.”

I met him two different times...the last time shown here in late 2004 at the Touhill Performing Arts Center in St. Louis. George gladly signed my photo from our previous encounter and posed for this photo (one of my favorite shots...George was looking extra cool that day with the shades and leather jacket). And then, while examinig my friend, Mark's, albums, uttered this infamous line in a way only he could do, "Just where the f*** do you get all these records in such pristine condition?"

1 comment:

Lon Strickler said...

Carlin had a reputation of arriving at a venue right before the show and would leave right after his set. But...I personally witnessed him sign for fans on his way in and on his way out as well as at other times when time permitted. He was old school and realized the fans were his meal ticket and legacy.